With introduction of SAP Rise, SAP has entered into a new service model. They build or migrate your systems to Azure, AWS , GCP or SAP’s own datacenter. Thereafter they manage the hosting. SAP basis consultant do not have access to operating system. Please note that , in this case Azure, AWS and GCP hardware is requested by SAP’s Enterprise Cloud Services themselves without the involvement of customer . Then SAP builds the system and gives login credentials to customer. Customer interacts with a PL during the build , then they interact with a dedicated distribution list ( email id) . Customer can also raise a service request. Please note that although this mechanism of service request is similar to OSS messages earlier, a much faster and efficient reply can be expected. After the build phase you have a dedicated Digital Customer Engagement Manager which is basically a 24×7 monitored-email-based-support.
In this situation almost all the work of SAP basis consultant is taken over by SAP , isnt it ? No. SAP basis consultant is still an essential part of the SAP implementation. What do they do ?
During the build, They have to arrange
- The network connectivity to cloud datacenter. Mostly it is a VPN connection, but they have options of VPC peering, Expressroute and TGW too.
- DNS forwarding has to be configured. If your systems has to access the servers with FQDN you need to configure DNS forwarding. DNS configuration guide pdf file , HEC DNS address and IP shall be provided by build PL
- Take handover from build and transition to operations and partners.
During the operations
- SAP basis consultant have to upload the trust certificates and establish https.
- Advise the partners and internal SAP teams regarding the custody of key user credentials.
- Secure the application level security in collaboration with SAP authorisation and security expert
- Attend end user issues and raise service request to SAP operations team.
- Work in collaboration to ensure issue technical issue resolutions
- Ensure the connectivity to SAC ( SAP Analytics Cloud)
- Ensure connectivity to PO, PI, SAP cloud platform etc
- Ensure solution manager configurations and setup monitoring KPIs and establish regular
- Keep SAP launchpad and other system related information securely
- Assist end user in connecting to SAP . Ensure ports are open
- As you can see there are many activities which SAP basis consultant can only do. I do not see this role retiring in any near future. I request you to provide your questions, comments suggestions and criticism.