In this blog post I will discuss the overview of SAP S/4HANA Embedded Analytics which is one of the key innovations of S/4. It is a collection of SAP Fiori tiles in SAP S/4HANA that enable real time operational reporting in your transactional system. There is no ETL (Data Extraction, Transformation, and Loading) and batch processing required, compared to traditional reporting landscapes involving ERP and data warehouse systems. Embedded Analytics uses SAP Fiori as the front-end user interface and SAP has delivered standard content known as Fiori analytical apps for various functional areas. Standard content can be leveraged right out of the box as an accelerator for your implementation and can also be personalized and extended based on business requirements.
Why should I use SAP S/4HANA Embedded Analytics?
- Business Innovation through Radical Simplification
- Agility and Creativity for the Business
- Scale and Trust for the Enterprise
- Simplify the Platform
- Enhance the experience
- Innovate for the future
SAP S/4HANA analytics overview
SAP S/4HANA Analytics, Overview
And here are the most important messages of the picture above:
- On the presentation layer, embedded analytics is exclusively based SAP Fiori and SAP Analytics UIs
- It comes with a lot (really!) of predefined analytical apps based on Fiori and on SAP Analytics Cloud for the Business User (a user type you will read more about in future blog posts)
- For creating own KPIs, reports, dashboards etc., SAP S/4HANA provides tools for the role of the “Analytics Specialist” (which will also receive further coverage in future blog posts)
- The analytical models (queries, data sources,) are implemented in the SAP S/4HANA Virtual Data Model, which provides real-time access to the transactional data and which therefore needs no data replication at all.
- Embedded Analytics works (only) on the data that is currently in the SAP S/4HANA system.
- To cover use cases where data from multiple systems needs to be consolidated or long-term analysis requires to look at data that is not available in the transactional system, there is a close integration to the offerings of SAP Analytics, and here specially to SAP Analytics Cloud, SAP Data Warehouse Cloud and SAP BW/4HANA.
Talking about the SAP Analytics offering, it is important to mention that the “enterprise analytics” of the SAP Analytics solutions are not competing with the “embedded analytics” of SAP S/4HANA, but that both offerings address very different use cases and complement each other extremely well.
This becomes obvious when looking at what are typical examples for working with embedded analytics and for working with enterprise analytics.
Examples of Embedded Analytics
- A material planner who is responsible for the stock availability analysis for just-in-time (JIT) calls of components and therefore needs to view the mapping of requested components to JIT calls. The necessary alignment with shipping specialists, transport planners, and production planners, requires access to real-time information for accurate decisions is needed.
- A collection supervisor who wants to assign new collection cases to the colleagues in the collections team needs information on the values of open cases and the remaining capacity of the team before making an informed decision.
- A salesclerk responsible for resolving blocked orders needs criteria such as the order value, the expected profit, or a prediction of the customer’s payment behavior to decide which orders to focus on. Based on this information, the salesclerk decides to increase a customer’s credit limit to unblock the order.
Embedded Analytics helps deliver all the above plus more. Traditional embedded analytics has always been a torch bearer of Operational Analytics. But at SAP we had to go above and beyond this. Hence the world class cloud-based SAP Analytics Cloud has been seamlessly embedded into our SAP S/4HANA offerings. This became the flag bearer of helping customers to be able to also tell stories via dashboarding deeply embedded into SAP S/4HANA.
- Deliver a new Analytics SaaS offering that stands out with simplicity, visually appealing, and business user orientation that includes a solid data management layer
- Helps customer user adoption and extend the reach of our technologies and foster innovation
- Integrate Analytics experience from SAP S/4HANA to SAP Success factors, SAP Ariba, SAP Concur, Qualtrics and across all other solutions.
- Provide embedded insights within the solution, to optimally support business users in defined business processes with decision support and information at the user’s fingertips.
- Integrate seamlessly into the enterprise intelligence offerings such as SAP Analytics Cloud and SAP BW/4HANA
- For SAP S/4HANA Cloud customers, SAP Analytics Cloud is seamlessly embedded into SAP Fiori UI framework
SAP S/4HANA Cloud Analytics
- For S/4HANA On-Premise customers they can leverage the stories created with the stand-alone SAP Analytics cloud and integrate them into the SAP Fiori Launchpad.
SAP S/4HANA Architecture
Beyond Embedded SAP Analytics Cloud
When SAP Analytics Cloud is a stand-alone solution, we can go beyond what the embedded offering allows. Capabilities include the below advantages.
- Executive Boardroom Agenda and broad set of SAP analytical content sourcing data from SAP S/4HANA and non-SAP source systems
- Leverage Business Intelligence and Smart Assist while doing analytical reporting
- A Single analytics platform connecting all LoBs with the Digital Core and peripheral applications such as SAP SuccessFactors, SAP Ariba, SAP Fieldglass, SAP Concur, Qualtrics.
- Provide real-time access to solution data as well as replication of data and data blending with multiple other sources for end2end enterprise intelligence
- Best practices for planning processes and Input forms / templates based on SAP S/4HANA
- Integration between Financial Planning and SAP S/4HANA Cloud
- Leverage Predictive analytics with advanced capabilities to select KPI’s and perform proactive predictions with SAP Analytics Cloud – Smart Predict which includes automated Modelling – Classification, Regression, Segmented Time Series Analysis.
- Utilize the best Practices for the various Predictive Capabilities across SAP S/4HANA business processes to integrate, visualize and share predictive analysis. Introducing artificial intelligence with conversational UI in SAC dashboards and Machine learning driven “insights to Action” in real-time.
- A truly Self-serviced Data Science solution in the cloud with support for Data Ingestion, Model Authoring, Data sharing, pipelining, orchestration, data preparation and cleaning.
Now, with all these features and capabilities, SAP also provides content that can be consumed directly and helps customers have a jump start into their Analytics.
SAP Best Practices for analytics with SAP S/4HANA provides a comprehensive portfolio of analytical content based on SAP S/4HANA. It provides guidance on how to get started with SAP S/4HANA embedded analytics and how to integrate with best-in-class analytical platform and solutions from SAP
Having pre-delivered content helps our customers to:
- Enable real-time operational reporting on SAP S/4HANA with embedded analytics.
- Rapidly integrate SAP S/4HANA with best-in-class analytical solutions provided by SAP and get up and running with pre-built content.
- Access the SAP S/4HANA data which is exposed as CDS views in a uniform way.
- Improve TCO with SAP S/4HANA
- Increase efficiency and productivity
- Improve business insight
- Improved user experience with role-based scenarios
- Move up on the path to the cloud from pre-assembled trials to productive use
- The Embedded Analytics scenarios cover the following for various LoBs
- SAP S/4HANA embedded analytics is not a single feature but a concept of how to get insights to a business user
- SAP S/4HANA embedded analytics comes with a lot of predefined business content in the form of KPIs, reports, queries, predictive scenarios, planning scenarios, and more
- The main user types addressed by SAP S/4HANA embedded analytics are business users and analytics specialists
- The analytics specialist is a role that has all the tools to create customer -specific analytics content
- SAP S/4HANA embedded analytics is well integrated with other SAP Analytics offerings and makes none of them obsolete
In this blog post we learned an overview of SAP S/4HANA Embedded Analytics and it’s benefits, To learn even more on the SAP S4/HANA and to keep up to date be sure to check out the help documentation, Also please feel free to share any feedback in a comment under this blog post and if you have any further questions on SAP S4/HANA embedded analytics and be sure to leave a question in the community also here.