As we head in to Q2 2022 we have over 40 new features coming your way from SAP Analytics Cloud. In this blog we give you a Sneak Peek in to our Top 5. A full list of what is coming can be found on our Roadmap Explorer or the Product Plan.
Custom Widget Data Binding Capability
Within Analytics Designer the Custom Widget framework allows designers to extend the predefined set of widgets provided with their own custom widgets. This is very useful, for example, if you need a specific user interface element, a particular visualization of data, or a certain functionality in your analytic application that is not provided by the predefined set of widgets.
In Q2 2022 we are making designing analytical applications even easier by bringing you a new feature to simplify the binding of data to your custom widget.
Application designers no longer need to use hidden tables to bind data to their custom widget this can now be done directly in the builder panel.
Note: This is only available in Optimized View Mode
Optimized Design Experience
In the past year there has been a big focus on optimizing the experience and performance for users consuming SAP Analytics Cloud stories. Last year we released the Optimized View Mode and this quarter we introduce Optimized Design Experience which provides a better design experience for IT and Analyst when designing large or complex stories.
Designers can expect:
- Several performance improvements depending on certain workflows
- Several usability improvements that have been requested by customers, including:
- Improved builder panel layout
- Available object list for measures, dimensions, and calculations
- Usability improvements that were delivered with the optimized story viewer (such as ghost loading indicators, improved tool tip, filter interaction, and the like)
- Undo and redo capabilities when creating and editing stories
- Ability for story designers to create new stories or convert existing stories to the optimized story designer
This is just the beginning we can expect additional usability and performance features in Optimized Design Experience in the coming quarters.
Having different time dimensions and granularity can be difficult when managing planning. For example, in Retail scenarios, stores where weekly time is predominately used as well as more traditional financial planning scenarios using special periods at the start or end of the fiscal year.
An exciting topic within planning this quarter is the new flexible time feature. Where we enable both System and User Managed Time.
System Managed time enable support for:
- Weekly pattern support
- Support for 53rd week
- Option to mix weekly patterns with other time granularities
User Managed Time we enable additional support for:
- Special periods
- Configurable dates
- Custom attributes
- and/or additional hierarchies
Fluid Data Entry
In keeping with our theme this quarter of optimising performance and overall user experience we are introducing a new data entry mode called Fluid Data Entry
Today we have Single Data Entry and Mass Data Entry modes:
- Single data entry, I can update a cell and the data is sent to server for recalculation and updates all widgets on the page. Slow to enter multiple cells in sequence. However, I still have the ability to interact with the widgets on the page.
- With Mass data entry, I can quickly enter multiple cells in sequence without any time lag. However, I lose interactivity with my widgets, and I must either process the data or exit the mass data entry mode to interact with my story
- Finally with Fluid Data Entry we get the best of both worlds. Fluid data entry allows me to enter my data in sequence, it will wait for a pause I pause before it does the recalculation, but I retain the interactivity capabilities such as right click or drill into my tables.
- Rapid entry of data into multiple cells without any noticeable delay
- Process data entry requests automatically including immediate recalculation of table formulas and delayed recalculation of model formulas and other widgets
- Version history tracks each required recalculation as a single transaction for roll back/roll forward
- Delayed recalculation occurs after 1 sec pause, but this is configurable within the tenant administration settings
- Also, when I bring up the Change history you can see that much like Mass Data entry it is batched so I can revert changes since the last update.
Analytic application support on the SAP Analytics Cloud mobile app on Android devices
Last but at no means least in Q2 2022 Android users can now view and interact with analytical applications in the SAP Analytics Cloud Android mobile app.
We will be taking a deeper dive in to these items in our What’s New video and blog series so stay tuned.
Want to experience new and existing features for yourself? Take the leap and start your journey towards making data-driven decisions with confidence by signing up for a free trial, today.