Introduction: This topic and the procedure discussed here may be useful in those situations where in we find it difficult to download required media may be due to the fact that it is discontinued or not available or something like that. some situations e.g. setting up a new instance for trial run or PoC (proof of concept) or Mock runs.
Caution: This does not intend to replace the reliable tool i.e. SWPM but to assist Basis consultants in their day to day life. it requires good understanding of how an ABAP system works in general on UNIX platforms regardless of the underlying databases. In this, I will use UNIX and Oracle as the database, one can adapt to their environments accordingly.
Procedure: The steps mentioned here would give you a fair idea of how the setup can be done.
1. Create the new SIDadm user and set new password:
# useradd -g sapsys <SID>adm
# usermod -d /home/<SID>adm <SID>adm
# usermod -s /bin/csh <SID>adm
# id <SID>adm
2. Change the directory structure as per new <SID>/Instance (Check /usr/sap, /sapmnt directories, Softlinks)
Copy following directories from an existing working ABAP system of your matching landscape.
/home/<SID>adm user environment
3. Change the ownership and permissions as per new <SID>adm user for /usr/sap and /sapmnt directories
4. Change the profile name and contents as per new SID/instance no.
5. Change the sidadm environment as per new SID/instance no. (Copy env files and .profile from existing any <SID>adm user)
6. Change the /usr/sap/services file, check the /etc/services file, make sure no memory segments are there for ipcs -m, ipcs -s, if exist, remove ipcrm -s/-m
7. Run the oraroot.sh and saproot.sh
change to cdexe or /usr/sap/SID/SYS/exe/run
as root–> ./saproot.sh SID
./oraroot.sh SID oracle ##in case of oracle 12c and above
8. Setup SSFS and setup BRTools
9. Adapt listener and tnsnames.ora
10. Check connectivity and perform post install steps. You can use sapcontrol -nr <INST NO> -function -GetProcessList and with apcontrol -nr <INST NO> -function -GetSystemInstanceList
After this, you can start your SAP services and perform basic sanity checks like SICK, SM12, SM12, ST22, SM21, SM61 etc.
Result: With this, You will have another way of building a new instance using the existing running instance if needed. It may look too manual but sometimes, it is the very useful method that saves time !!