This is my 2nd Data Migration project and I have enjoyed working on this. Indirectly I would say Data Migration is best thing I would love to do. With each project , I have some addition in my experience. Experience is nothing but Learnings. Learnings from mistakes we commit, intentional or unintentional. In this project we learned many new things which I thought of sharing with our SAP community to be alert in their upcoming DM Projects. So here we go.
Video Link – https://youtu.be/k31UJwfgb8k
What is Business Rules?
In layman terms, rules to extract data from SAP system.
- If Data extraction is your responsibility, get Business rules from client for each object i.e. Master Data and Transaction Data.
- If you apply your own business rules and extract data, client will hold you responsible if something goes wrong post upload. Avoid this.
- Ask them to provide table name, fields to extract, period and any other thing which is required to be Extracted.
- Take this in Email.
Extraction is very important/critical task for Data Migration. If data are in millions, need to use some special tools like BODS. Following points to be noted :
- Hire some BODS expert to extract data.
- Data extraction from table will collapse. This won’t work even in background.
- Follow Business rules provided by business to extract Data.
- Be ready for Data Re-Extraction in case of anything is missed out.
- Do not release Data extractor from team if he is idle for some time. Upcoming cycles will justify their role.
- If you release Data Extractor expert, Cost Benefit ratio would not be achieved.
Uploading data without client pre-validation may raise below questions/Queries/Doubts
- Data were not uploaded correctly.
- Data uploaded were not filtered correctly.
- Data transformation is incorrect. Wrong values populated.
- Why particular field is not populated/created/extended.
- Data uploads was completely blunder.
- Who authorized you to upload non-validated data
- ……………Many more negative comments.
- Only Master data or Transaction data to be uploaded.
- How many Objects are to be uploaded?
- Percentage of data to be uploaded.
- What is the sequence of data uploads?
- What are the important objects? For e.g. GL, Cost Center, Profit Center.
- If its 100% in cycle 1, why?
- What tools are to be used? LSMW/Programme/Manual Activity
- Timelines for each uploads to be decided in advance.
- If Timelines are not adhered, revised plan date should be provided in advance and communicated to management.
- Reason for not adhering the timelines should be noted and saved for future audit purpose.
- Timelines for each phase should be decided in advance like extraction, pre-validation, uploads and post uploads.
This is most important point. Onshore team always takes offshore team members for granted. Onshore teams tends to push all work on offshore team and goes on leave. Onshore people are paid more than offshore people and offshore people end up doing more work (some exception).
- Split the work between both the resources.
- Each person should be responsible/accountable for their task.
- Balance approach should be adopted. For e.g. FS should be divided between them.
- Training materials, SIT, UAT should be executed by both.
………Could be many more
Functional Person in DM Team
- Functional Person should be involved in DM Team.
- They should review files before upload.
- They should work on corrections provided by user.
- They should provide solutions for any missing configuration or any other activity. For e.g. Number range is missing.
- They should schedule meeting with user for understanding of error.
- Data team should be responsible only for uploads and not expected to have functional knowledge.
User IDs for System
Sometimes client take much time to provide access to system. This causes delay in DM activities. Following points to be noted to defend blame game.
- Date on which user ids were requested.
- Date on which user ids were provided.
- How many days were taken to provide the Access.
- Take approvals immediately is its required to gain Access.
- Create Request for all users involved in DM task.
- Check proper roles are assigned to everyone by checking some transactions.
Sometimes you face challenging users who may create problems for you. Below points to be noted.
- Keep cool/calm and try to understand their problem.
- Post understanding try to help them.
- If this doesn’t work or ineffective, escalate to your seniors.
- Schedule a meeting to resolve this amicably.
- ……………..But do not panic or be stubborn or rude to the user. Be polite and reflect positive attitude.
I hope you like this document.