With the December 2021 release of SAP Intelligent Robotic Process Automation a solution is now available for boosting the transition from Desktop Studio to Cloud Studio. Desktop Studio projects can now be converted to Cloud Studio project!
Wait. There is no magic with this tool. While Cloud Studio and Desktop Studio are sharing lot of things such as Desktop Agent, Technology Connectors… the automation definition (also known as scenario and workflow designer with Desktop Studio) is different. So how it works? What will be converted… and what won’t be converted?
The content of this blog post is provided “AS IS”. This information could contain technical inaccuracies, typographical errors and out-of-date information. This document may be updated or changed without notice at any time. Use of the information is therefore at your own risk. In no event shall SAP be liable for special, indirect, incidental or consequential damages resulting from or related to the use of this document.
How it works?
What will be converted… or won’t be converted?
We are not magicians, wizards and sorcerers… until now. Our goal was to provide a starting point for easing the transition from Desktop Studio to Cloud Studio.
Declared Applications, Screens and UI Elements
Almost all declared Applications, Screens and UI Elements should be available “as is” with nearly zero or limited rework. Applications based on SAP GUI for Windows, SAP S/4HANA, SAP UI5, UI Automation or Web-Connector should appear. Criteria defined (even complex criteria) should be appended too.
Again, the best practice:
- inspect the different captured Applications, Screens and UI Elements
- test with the Cloud Studio Application Tester
However, for the time being, some technology connectors are not yet available in Cloud Studio (such as JAVA/SWG or Terminal/HLLAPI). If you use the WIN connector, it won’t be converted (reminder the UI Automation connector should be used instead). For a detailed information about the connectors support, please see this topic in the help portal.
Scenarios / Automations
Almost all scenarios built with Desktop Studio should be available in Cloud Studio. However, there are some tips to know:
- The corresponding activity in Desktop Studio shall exist in Cloud Studio. Hopefully, more than 80% of Desktop Studio activities are available with the Cloud Studio (Cloud Studio has many more activities than Desktop Studio in comparison and the need of custom code has been significantly lowered).
- If an activity is not available in Cloud Studio, it will be converted as Custom Script (but it will require rework for making sure that the automation is performing the expected outcome).
- If a control is not available in Cloud Studio, it won’t be converted and too keep the flow readability it will be converted also as Custom Script.
- If the generated code has been modified, the modification won’t surface in Cloud Studio.
- Custom Libraries won’t be included or converted.
- Scenarios only built with code won’t be converted or imported.
- Placeholder step will be converted as Custom Script but the corresponding code won’t be converted or imported.
By the way, we’ve created a dedicated guide available here.
Context / Data Types
The Context available in Desktop Studio will be converted as Data Types. However, Context created or modified by code won’t be converted.
UI Designer Popups / Menus
Other cases and Documentation
All the details are described in this chapter (help portal).
We hope that this solution will help for your transition journey. Feel free to leave some comments.