This is my first SAP blog post, and I am going to explain some details regarding the use of the Individual Full Transmission Start Date (FTSD) or also known as Full Transmission Start Date for Assignment.
First things first! What is Full Transmission Start Date (FTSD)?
Also known as global Full Transmission Start Date, that’s generally configured as the Go-Live date.
That concept may sound simple at first, but it has to be properly chosen due it’s impacts. So I strongly suggest you check the documentations to fully understand it and its effects in the integration. Specially if your customer already use SAP HCM and has historical data before the SAP SuccessFactors Employee Central implementation.
Below are some extract from the guide:
The full transmission start date (FTSD) is the date from which data transfer from Employee Central to the SAP ERP HCM system begins. It is used to determine from which start date on data records (time slices) are provided. Only records that are valid on or after the FTSD are extracted from Employee Central.
For more details please check:
Customer Deployment possibilities
The global Full Transmission Start Date works perfectly for customers that move all companies configured in SAP HCM into the cloud with SAP SuccessFactors Employee Central. However it is not always possible for a customer to go cloud all at once. Some customer may choose the Side-by-Side deployment option. But that still may not be a possibility or a choice for customers that decide to go cloud with only a group of companies from SAP HCM while keeping some companies managed only in SAP HCM.
Some customers has two or more divisions of companies and only one of them goes cloud. So all Org Structure (Job Classifications, Departments and Positions) from one division is imported in EC. While for the other division that remains in SAP HCM only, these objects is kept and managed only in SAP HCM.
Transfer Challenge (“Inter-systems” Transfer)
One of the challenges is the transfer of an employee that exists only in an SAP HCM company and is then transferred to an SAP SuccessFactors EC company.
So let’s check the steps to make that happen:
- A position is created in EC and integrated to SAP HCM.
- Transfer is processed in PA40 transaction using above position.
- Import employee in EC.
Let’s consider the following configuration:
- Global FTSD = November, 1st, 2019
Even though these steps may look simple as a regular Employee Data Import. When using only the global FTSD, it will require that you import in EC:
- All the corresponding Org Structure from IT001 records between the FTSD and the Transfer record from that employee in EC, otherwise it will throw an error, change undesired data or even delete some of the historical records, i.e:
- February 1st, 2019 = Employee was hired.
- December 1st, 2019 = Employee moved to another Personnel Area in SAP HCM (this record if not imported in EC will be deleted in SAP HCM as this is after the global FTSD)
- April 1st, 2020 = Transferred to an EC company.
Individual Full Transmission Start Date comes to our rescue!
Also known as Full Transmission Start Date for Assignment, with the Individual FTSD we can configure an Employee specific FTSD.
For more details:
For Integration to SAP HCM integration using BIB:
- We will maintain table PAOCFEC_PN_FTSD
- BAdI ECPAO_IN_ASSIGNMENT_FTSD has to be implemented
In table PAOCFEC_PN_FTSD, we maintain:
- Individual FTSD = April 1st, 2020 (Transfer Date)
Note = Individual FTSD (or FTSD for Assignment) cannot be before the global FTSD (in our example Nov 1st, 2019). It can only be the same or after.
In this example, the second and third time slice are transferred, but only the third time slice is considered in SAP HCM integration for this employee. First time slice is ignored as this is before the global FTSD.
- Second Time Slice is transfered due to Global FTSD = November 1st, 2019 but is ignored for integration to SAP HCM due to Individual FTSD = April 1st, 2020. –> Here is where we avoid the IT0001 integration errors, undesired data changes and deletions.
- If there are more then 1 record in IT0001 in SAP HCM between Global FTSD and Individual FTSD, those are transferred but ignored for SAP HCM integration (then no errors, undesired data changes nor deletions).
Now with this, we can import Job Information records using only EC Org Structure and prevent SAP HCM undesired data changes and deletions.
This feature also fulfills the Rehire (without New Employment) scenario as per KBA and guide examples.